Monday, January 14, 2008

New updates at work.

So remember before Christmas I was really excited about getting a new office, then found out it wasn't going to happen?? (If not, check out the blog here) Well when I got back, I heard that the renovations would be happening, but not until March probably. This really sucked because we got a new server just before the holidays. The server was supposed to be a tower server, but somewhere someone got messed up and we received a rack mount server. We were going to return it, but then we wouldn't get the new one until after the break, and we wanted to get it setup right away. So we ordered a new rack and some new equipment (rack mounted UPS, rack mounted KVM switch, and a new 48 port switch). The rack was supposed to be in the Friday before we left on break, but of course it didn't. That meant that I had to keep the server on my workbench, which didn't give me much room if I needed to work on any computers. Well, finally last week we got the rack in, and all of the extra equipment. That meant that I needed to clear out part of the server room to fit in the new rack, seems how we weren't getting the new office. So now the server is even smaller than before (and the rack wasn't even n place yet) Matt and I decided that we were going to wait till the weekend to install the rack, and all of the extras for it. The plan was to come in this Saturday and get it all in place and working.

Then all of a sudden last Thursday I find out that the renovations are actually going to be happening, and they're starting the next day! So now Friday morning I had to move 4 offices upstairs temporarily into cubicles. When I get that done, and go downstairs, the kitchen outside my office is pretty much gone! The majority of the cabinets had been taken out, and I had to climb over tools and loose wood to get into my 'office'. I thought it was going to bug me with all the construction going on Friday, but knowing that I was actually going to be getting a new office in a couple weeks made up for it. I went over all the plans with Mat about how the new room is going to be setup, and I'm pretty happy. Soon I'll get an actual desk!! Yay!

So this Saturday Matt and I were going to install the new rack. Then, at 7:30 Saturday morning I get an e-mail from Matt saying don't bother coming in, cause there are no lights in the server room! There were some electricians in working on new wiring and checking out everything. I was kinda disappointed cause I wanted to get everything setup so I can get some room back.

When I came in this morning, the workers were already gutting some of the walls in the payroll section of the office. When I got into my 'office', Matt had moved the rack into place, but hadn't installed anything into it yet. So now we're going to come in one night this week possibly and get everything installed.

Meanwhile, the construction is still going on, and theres lots of cutting of drywall and the such, which of course creates a lot of noise and dust. And I just happen to be in the middle of it, and have to try to make my way trough it anytime I want to enter or exit my 'office'. So it was decided to move me out of there, so I could get away from it (also, we wanted to keep the door closed to minimize the amount of dust that would get into the room and muck up the servers. But the question was, where could I go? There were no free cubicles upstairs, cause payroll was occupying them. So it was decided that I could move into the back boardroom for the time being, until the construction has calmed down a bit. It's actually pretty nice up here. I get a massive conference table to use, and a really comfy chair with arms, and I can close the door if I want more privacy. The only bad thing is that this boardroom serves as a way to get to and from the garage, so every now and then I get people walking through. Also, we are selling safety jackets to our employees, and those just happen to be stored in this room also, so every now and then, Chris comes in to go through the boxes and get peoples jackets. Other than that though, it's nice. But I still want my own office downstairs.

No comments: