Saturday, March 29, 2008

The evolution of Buddy's cage

I've had Buddy since May 27 2007. Since then he has lived in 4 different 'cages', and he has just moved into his fifth! Heres what he's lived in:

When we first picked him up, he was in a small plastic container, about the size of a hamburger container. He was only in it until we got home. Then he upgraded to a small plastic fish tank about 10" wide by 7" deep and 8" tall. He stayed in that for a few days, until Amanda was able to grab a moth holder from the lab. It was about a 1' cube, covered in mesh with a velcro opening. It was a good sized cage for him, but only for a little while. I liked the width and depth of it, but it needed to be taller. Chameleons are arboreal, so they like to be up high.Ideally chameleon cages should be above eye level, and his 1' cube was below eye level. Amanda offered to build a new cage for him at the lab. We bought the materials, and she built his next cage. It was still 1' wide and 1' deep, but was 25" tall. This seemed to be a good size for him. It was tall enough that he could climb to the top to be above everything, but wasn't too big that he would get lost in it.

He's been in that cage since Jul of last year, so I decided it was time to upgrade him again. This time I decided to go really big, and use the 175 gallon Flexarium that I bought when I got him. This one is 30" wide by 30" deep by 4' tall. Upgrading his cage this time was harder than before. Because he was moving to such a large cage form such a small one, I needed to get alot more stuff for him. First thing I needed was a a tree for him. He has a plant already, but he needed something taller and bigger. He also needed some new vines, fake leaves, and I decided to get some substrate for the bottom of the new cage, and a water dripping system. I of course didn't realize that I needed this stuff until after I had set up the cage, and put in all of the stuff from his old cage. So Amanda and I headed out to Wal-Mart last night to see what we could pick up. We looked at the plants, but they didn't have any good trees, but we picked up a nice little plant that hopefully will grow bigger. It's not the best, but it'll do until we can get something better. We then went to Petsmart to look for the rest of the stuff. We picked up some substrate, some vines, and we also got a parrot ladder (it's a good way for him to travel from the top to the bottom of his cage). I picked the rest of the stuff up today, and his new cage is fully set up (apart from a tree).

Here's what it looks like;

No comments: